The way to stay relevant in any industry is to encourage innovation from within. When the Fishburners business model was severely disrupted by COVID, it was important that they quickly re-assess and re-emerge. In fact, the pandemic accelerated the growth in online activity amongst our startups and in response, we expanded our virtual horizons with a dedicated digital platform; Fishburners Founders Hub.
With this, Fishburners didn’t steer away from fostering its physical community. Fishburners launched a six-month female accelerator program ‘Fempowered’, as well as Fishburners China to further support startups around the globe. Although this year has had its challenges, Fishburners has been able to pivot and achieve some outstanding results. Entrepreneurs looking to get involved at Fishburners can still redeem the COVID recovery offer to receive three months coworking membership for the price of two.
Key Highlights at Fishburners
Despite the year that was 2020, Fishburners still went above and beyond to provide entrepreneurs around the globe with a strong network and resources during tough times. Read on to see some of the key highlights of 2020.
Six-Month Fishburners Fempowered Program
With the generous support of Fishburners partners Google For Startups, Fishburners Sydney offered a six-month program for 12 diverse females to turn a viable idea into a sustainable business. Meet the Fempowered Cohort of 2020 here! Some of the startups involved were; Simply Parking, Hstl&Hrt, Pump Free Energy, Resolution 123, Paper Plain, Theratrak, China Direct Sourcing, Rareiio, Grasshopper, Woolfie, Teach Ted, Arula, and WageChecker.
Fishburners Founders Hub Launch
Fishburners rebranded their virtual membership so that entrepreneurs can get value from the Fishburners community from anywhere in the world! To get started and grow a startup anywhere, any time, check out the brand new freemium and paid Fishburners Founders Hub memberships here.
The new Fishburners Founders Hub is a digital platform for Australian founders, and aspiring entrepreneurs; combining everything they need to start and scale a startup in one place. This includes exclusive access to resources, tools, templates, mentorships, startup perks, freebies and collaboration and communication channels to leverage the capabilities of other founders and subject matter experts. More info here.
Fishburners Marketplace Launch
Fishburners launched its very own marketplace! Fishburenrs members, both physical and virtual can now easily and seamlessly provide and receive assistance from the startup community . Learn more here, or sign up to mentor startups or register as an intern (membership at Fishburners not required).
La Trobe University Partnership
Fishburners are pleased to announce that La Trobe University and Fishburners have joined forces to support entrepreneurs in Victoria. They have welcomed La Trobe’s innovative and entrepreneurial community to our Founders Hub. More details on the launch here.
Fishburners China Launch
Fishburners is helping entrepreneurs to get started and grow in China. Fishburners Hangzhou Hub is our first initiative to serve founders both within China, and those who are wanting to be established in China, with support and funding for successful applicants. Further info and applications here!
Podcast Studio Launch
Fishburners is now providing a word-class podcast recording studio that can be hired by the Fishburners community, and members of the public. The studio is located on Level 2/11 York Street at Fishburners Sydney and has already seen entrepreneurs walk through its doors. This facility allows founders to produce high-quality content with its exceptional recording capabilities. Enquire here!
- Ricemill released a new Google Chrome extension.
- QA Chef has finalised development of their end-to-end digital food safety traceability system for global large-volume caterers
- Driven raised $700K in seed capital. This first funding round was led by FirstWatch with participation from VC firms Giant Leap and Pangaea Impact Investments. More in their feature in The Australian.
- Grandshake successfully facilitated meaningful work experience placements for high school students.They are on a mission to bridge the gap between education and the real-world.
- SunCulture closed US$2.5m from Off-grid energy access fund and is finalizing an additional US$7.5m in debt and $10m in equity as part of their Series A financing.
- Adiona Tech won the 2019 Environmental Excellence Award at the Australian Supply Chain and Logistics Awards as well as the StartCon pitch comp.
- NoiseNet Secured a $100k Ignite Ideas Grant from Advance Queensland to accelerate sales.
- Sortal are donating all January proceeds to the NSW Rural Fire Service.
- Good On You Was Selected As One Of 16 Startups And Scale-ups to Participate In The Lafayette Plug & Play Retail Tech Accelerator.
- KitFit’s Equity Crowdfunding Campaign Was 300% Subscribed, Successfully Closing $502 200!
- Juggle Street Has Passed 95, 000 Registered Users Across Aus & NZ.
- Project F Have Just Signed Their Second Client, Finder
- Photzy Has Crossed the 120k Paying Customer Mark!
- KitFit’s Equity Campaign is Now More Than 200% Funded
- VideoTranslator.AI pilot with NSW Health is Now Deployed at Liverpool Hospital.
- BOP Featured on Channel Ten
- Smartify.AI App Has Launched
- Xceptional Have Formed a Strategic Partnership with IPA to Find More Autistic People Meaningful Careers
- Adiona closed their pre-seed raise, which was led by US-based VC Urban Us as part of an invitation into their exclusive Urban-X accelerator program for sustainable cities technology.
- Property NSW Supports Charopy Smart Bin Trial at Bathurst (On-Site Container Deposit Scheme Solution)
- QA Chef Was Chosen As a Finalist In the Walmart Food Safety Innovation Pipeline (Competition) In China/US
- Toyota Experienced a 3x Improvement in Qualified Leads Using Junction AI
- Charopy Has Retro-Fitted Their Design To Be Customised Into an Existing Bin at Macquarie Centre
- Dubai-Born 01Gov Successfully Closed a Round of Investment
- Blisspot Has Launched a New Version of Their Website, To Support High-Performance Startups
- Tability Has Partnered With Techstars
- Australian Institute of Business Found $600k In Under Two Weeks Using Insightech’s Platform
- CatalystTech Raised Seed Capital
- Dendra Systems Have Raised $10 million In Their Series A
- V2 Food Has Won Startup of the Year, Retail Product of the Year and the Best of the Best Award in the 2020 Food & Beverage Industry Awards
- Amelio Health Has Won Gold in the Ausmumpreneur Awards for Digital Innovation and Health & Wellbeing
- PumpFree Energy Has Been Announced as a Finalist for The Ocean Impact Organisation Pitchfest 2020
- PeepsRide Has Been Selected Into the Optus Future Makers Program This Year
- Vpply Secured a Partnership with JobAdder
- Forest Lodge Just Received a Grant in NZ For Their Cherry Orchard
- Peerhear Got Their First Paying Customer
- WePlanr’s Campaign with the Department of Tourism Philippines for Australia and New Zealand is Up
- Octopus BI: EdTech’s Top 50 Startups
- WrApp has Launched!
- Alice Williams, Stephanie Weiss, Liesl Yearsley awarded for their exceptional efforts through the business.gov.au Boosting Female Founders Initiative.
- Outwrite reached 1 million registered users and rebranded to focus professional segment.
- Aerologix closed their pre-seed round of 1.2 m with some great investors on board, signed up Nokia for a massive deal to use our drone pilot network and tech across aus, Got the MVP Grant from nsw govt and now have 16 employees.
Get involved in the Fishburners community in 2021 to be apart of Australia’s best co-working and startup community.